Reason: To them, it’s a crazy, senseless masquerade and just another reason for girls to dress slutty and for guys to drink beer… where did they get that idea from?
2. Persuade American friends to visit Salem, MA (origin of the witch hysteria) for Halloween – FAIL
Reason: Not worth the effort, especially since there are plenty of frat parties around
3. Buy a costume from costume store (Garment District in Cambridge, MA) on Oct.30th– FAIL
Reason: Everything is too expensive ($100 for an Avatar blue latex costume)
4. Make my costume/make-up myself – QUESTIONABLE
Reason: No one was sure if I was a ventriloquist doll, an harlequin, a big baby, or an outright clown… oh well…
Reason: The tight mob was pressing at the doors of the club, the bouncers were taking their sweet time letting people in although the club itself was empty, guys were climbing on top of parked cars in order to cut in line, and a girl had a stroke of panic because she was pushed around and almost suffocated
6. See a costume competition in a club – QUESTIONABLE
Reason: It turns out, being creative or funny in your costume choice so last-year. Being Katy Perry in her whipped-cream-bra-and-blue-wig costume or Lady GaGa in her swimsuit-like costumes is in!
7. Watching the Boston Halloween Bike Ride – SUCCESS!
Reason: I watched at least a hundred enthusiasts who had dressed up themselves and their bikes coming from Cambridge, through Boston, and down Brookline. Next year, I’m in with you!
8. Eat candy/drink pumpkin spice latte – SUCCESS
… the things we do to avoid getting “tricked”
If you want to see some really scary and beautiful costumes, take a look at my previous blog entry about the traditional Bulgarian monster costumes kukeri, compared to some beautiful carnival costumes from the Bahamas.