My friends from Boston, MA and Albany, NY, Maura and Bailey, are visiting me in Bulgaria for a week! Just in time to witness an Easter celebration – Eastern European style.
Probably the strangest thing they did today was an Easter egg fight! As part of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, we paint hard boiled eggs and fight with them:
- Find the “sharp” end of the egg
- Wrap your fist around the egg, with the sharp end pointing downwards
- Hit the “blunt” side of your opponent’s egg with your sharp side
- If you cracked their egg, you are the winner. If not, you lose this round.
- Then turn your egg around and offer your blunt end for hitting
- You opponent will hit you with their sharp end
- The winner from the match keeps fighting other eggs until there is one egg champion.
- The best part, you get to eat all your cracked eggs!
- Ways to cheat: get a wooden egg and paint it as an Easter egg or find a duck egg, which is typically a little big bigger and much stronger.
We don’t have the Easter Bunny, egg hunts around the garden, or as much chocolate as they have in the States on this holiday, but our egg fights, the Easter feast, and the family gathering definitely make Easter one of the best holidays in Bulgaria!
Read more about our Bulgaria Trip: